Naturopathy or natural medicine is a system based on harnessing the healing power of nature to bring the body into balance and thus enable self-healing.
Based on a holistic system, a naturopath is a health practitioner who strives to find the cause of disease by understanding the body, mind and spirit of the patient. Her/his spectrum includes approved natural healing practices such as homeopathy, herbal medicine and alternative therapies.
The principles of Naturopathy were first used by the Hippocratic School of Medicine in about 400 BC. The Greek philosopher Hippocrates believed in viewing the whole person in regards to finding a cause of disease and using the laws of nature to induce cure. It was from this original school of thought that Naturopathy takes its principles.
At a time when modern technology, environmental pollution, poor diet, and stress play a significant role in the degradation of health, a naturopath’s ability to apply natural methods of healing is of considerable importance. Frequently, a naturopath is the last resort in a patient’s long search for health.
A consultation typically begins with a lengthy patient interview focusing on lifestyle, medical history, emotional tone, and physical features, as well as physical examination. The practitioner will then focus on recommending positive lifestyle changes as well as creating a bespoke programme to aid better health.
Using a range of alternative methods of diagnosis, a naturopath aims to pin-point a predisposition in the body, ideally before the onset of acute disease.
BENEFITS OF NATUROPATHY
- Harnesses the healing power of nature, thus enabling the body to heal itself
- Aims to identify / treat the cause rather than just the symptoms
- A naturopath will never use treatments that may create other conditions
- Address / treats the whole person holistically, ie mentally, physically, emotionally and energetically
- Empowers the patient to take responsibility for his/her own health by teaching self-care
- Focuses on prevention rather than cure through reviewing overall lifestyle